Do I need braces?
First things first - what are braces?
Braces are typically used to straighten teeth and correct your bite.
Not only do they achieve a perfect smile, they can also have many oral health benefits too. Any person of any age can get braces, subject to having satisfactory dental health.
How do I know if I need braces?
The signs that an adult might need braces are slightly different from a child’s symptoms. Whether an adult needs braces will depend on age, overall dental health and severity of their case.
Here are a few points to look out for that may indicate if you need braces.
- Your teeth are visibly crooked, crowded or overlapping
- You find it difficult to floss and brush around your teeth
- You find that you frequently bite your tongue accidentally or your tongue gets cut or grazed on your teeth
- Your teeth don’t close over each other properly when your mouth is in a resting position
- You have impared speech/ difficulty pronouncing certain words due to the position your tongue takes under your teeth
- Your jaw clicks or makes noises when you chew or speak
- Stress or fatigued feeling in your jawline after chewing
Signs that your child might need braces
- Their jaw clicks or makes sounds
- Prone to accidentally biting their tongue, roof of their mouth or inside of their cheek
- They suck their thumb or using a pacifier over the age of 2
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A bite that doesn't shut completely (teeth don't meet)
- Teeth that are crooked or crowded
If you’re still unsure of whether you need braces or are even eligible then you have a few options.
Children or under 18s
Make an appointment to see your local dentist and they can check your teeth and bite. If you’re a suitable candidate for braces then they will refer you to an orthodontic practice via the NHS. Treatment on the NHS is free but only if your case falls into the qualifying selection criteria.
Adults or anyone who wants to pay for private care
As an adult, the process of getting braces is slightly different. Generally, you are not able to go through the NHS for treatment, but you can choose whether to privately refer yourself or be referred by your dentist. Treatment costs for adults will vary depending on case severity, but you can view estimated prices for treatment on our website here.
Want to book a consultation at Northenden House Orthodontics? Then contact us today and see how we can help you achieve the smile of your dreams.
- Tags: Adult braces bite correction brace brace care brace effectiveness brace guidance brace treatment braces braces for adults braces manchester child braces children's orthodontics Clarity braces clear aligner clear brace crooked teeth dental braces dental braces fitted Do I need braces? metal braces orthodontic treatment orthodontics
- Mohammad Malik