Holiday Guide To Looking After Your Braces
With half term approaching we thought we would put together a few hints and tips on brace care for those of you that are heading away from home for a week or two.
- Firstly, in the week leading up to your break away, ensure all of your appliance is intact. Ensure that all the brackets are cemented in position and are not able to slide along the arch wire. Check that any elastic chain that maybe being used is securely attached. Should you feel that something isn’t quite right with your appliance give the practice a call on 0161 998 2622 and we can offer you an appointment to have it looked at.
- If you are wearing elastic bands ensure that you take your current pack and request a spare pack, this will act as your back up if your current pack is mislaid in the packing. It is important to continue with your elastic wear whilst you are away to ensure the hard work you have put in wearing them beforehand doesn’t slip back.
- Check that you have packed your brace essentials kit including fluoride mouthwash, your toothbrush with the tufted end for cleaning underneath your wire, bottle brushes for cleaning underneath the wire and orthodontic wax should you notice something catching on your brace.
- Whilst you are away the same principles apply to brace care as you do at home. Ensure that you brush thoroughly twice daily, keeping under the arch wire clean too. Brush after every meal and before your evening meal rinse around with a fluoride mouthwash.
- The temptation whilst your away is to eat and drink things that don’t normally form part of your diet. Hard things like crusts from pizza and crusty bready need to be avoided, likewise sugary items need to be kept to a minimum and preferably only at meal times. Please be mindful about the amount of fizzy drinks that are consumed as they can have a detrimental affect on your teeth, especially during orthodontic treatment when it is particularly difficult to clean your teeth.
- If you experience a breakage to your orthodontic appliance while you are away, don’t worry. Use your orthodontic wax to aid with any discomfort and then once you are home contact Northenden House Orthodontics on 0161 998 2622 and we can advise you further. If you would like further advice while you are away feel free to email the practice at email@example.com.
- Mohammad Malik