New Year, New Smile: Which Braces are the Right Option for Me?
You will be hard-pressed to find someone who hasn’t had or is still receiving braces treatment, there are very few people who are born with a picture-perfect smile. Whether it be correcting crooked or gappy teeth, an over or underbite, or one tooth that causes you bother and makes you feel self-conscious, the good news is that there is almost certainly a brace option that will fix your orthodontic issues.
Granted, no solution will fix these problems overnight. Firstly, you need to understand exactly what the issues are, the different types of treatment and how they work, and your financial situation. Only once you have all this information can you make an informed decision about your dental health.
Understanding Which Treatment Option is Right for You
The first and most important step is to understand your needs. Do you understand the complexity of your case? You must start with a trip to an orthodontist to fully understand your dental mal alignments. They will then be able to provide you with the best course of action in terms of a treatment plan.
Once equipped with this information, it is then important to ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you want to simply improve your appearance?
- Do you have a limited budget that restricts the treatment options available to you?
- Are you restricted to a timeline and want to correct your teeth before a big event?
Available Brace Treatments and How They Work
Here at Northenden House Orthodontics in Manchester, we have a range of treatments available to suit all types of dental misalignments. Your orthodontist will be able to advise on which braces would be suitable, it is then your choice to make the perfect decision for you.
Invisalign, Ceramic, and Lingual Braces are the 3 hidden brace systems of choice here at Northenden House Orthodontics, and each has its unique way of working and treating dental mal alignments. Whether your particular issue can be treated by a removable aligner, or it needs a stronger treatment that allows for specific adjustments to be made, our specialist orthodontist in Manchester can make the right decision for you.
If your dental mal alignments are more severe, it may be that you need fixed braces. Our fixed braces of choice are the traditional metal Train Track Braces and Self-Ligating Braces. Both are fitted to the front of the teeth, one by small elastic bands and the other by little gates within the bracket but both are extremely successful at treating bite and crowding or spacing issues.
Functional Braces, also known as twin block braces, are used in more severe cases such as bite issues or teeth that stick out a lot. They are removable and worn on the upper and lower teeth and are mainly used for patients who are still growing, encouraging the jaw to grow into the correct bite position.
Our Most Popular Braces at Your Specialist Orthodontist in Manchester
When it comes to hidden braces, our two most popular choices here at Northenden House Orthodontics are Invisalign and Lingual Braces. Both are considered for their discreetness, but they must be chosen with specific dental issues in mind.
Is Invisalign Right for You?
- Although not entirely invisible, they are very discreet and for the most part, would go unnoticed.
- They are removable, making it easier to clean teeth and maintain good oral hygiene.
- They are extremely comfortable compared to other forms of brace treatment.
- They can be quite tight and take some getting used to in terms of speech at first but the more you practice speaking, the quicker you will adapt.
- You need to remember to wear your aligners for the recommended 22 hours per day, otherwise, your treatment won’t progress.
- The aligners dictate how and where your teeth will move, which means that your orthodontist won’t have as much control over the outcome as with other types of braces.
Are Lingual Braces the Right Way to Go?
- They are a completely hidden brace system as they are fitted behind your teeth.
- Effective for everyone and are just as effective at straightening a single tooth as they are at tackling overcrowding.
- They allow your orthodontist the maximum amount of control over your treatment as they can make small adjustments to give the best final result.
- They are fixed to your teeth meaning there is no worry of your treatment being prohibited if you forget to reinsert your aligners after eating.
- Can be uncomfortable to begin with and impact your speech as the amount of room your tongue has to form its usual sounds is compromised. With a little time and practice these issues can be quickly resolved.
- Lingual braces can be more expensive than Invisalign as more time and skill are required of your orthodontist to see you through your personalised treatment.
- As your brace is invisible to others, it can also become invisible to you. Not immediately seeing your brace can mean you’re less inclined to properly clean after eating which poses an increased risk of damage and decay to your teeth.
Northenden House Orthodontics: How an Expert Orthodontist in Manchester Can Help
Here at Northenden House Orthodontics, your specialist orthodontist in Manchester, we can fully assess your dental issues and provide an in-depth, personalised treatment plan to give you the best possible outcome. We give you all the information you need to make an informed decision on which treatment options are right for you.
Our expert team of orthodontists is available to chat with you, so book a consultation today and see if you can start your 2024 heading toward your most perfect smile.
- Mohammad Malik